Le Bouquet des Garrigues
Le Clos du Caillou
Châteauneuf-du-Pape, southern rhône
Clos du Caillou was founded in 1895 as a hunting preserve. It was not until 1955 that Paul Poizin purchased the estate and removed some of the woods to plant vineyards. It remains in the family and is run by his daughter Sylvie Vacheron.
The estate’s terroir is defined by various soils, including sand, stone with clay subsoils, and safre, a more dense, compact sand that adds finesse and minerality. The vineyards are hand-plowed and biodynamically farmed.
The wines of Clos du Caillou have a complex, perfumed nose of intense fruit, spice, and minerality that is followed by densely packed flavors and a long finish.